Saturday, June 12, 2010

I wanna dance with no pants on

I liked clothes. Really, I did. They covered my body, and made me seem more modest than I can sometimes be, plus, they can be super cute. And then I went to college.

Dorms at my school are divided into clusters. My cluster was crazy. Like, seriously crazy. We traveled in packs, we were super loud, and no one liked to wear clothes. People on campus knew us as "The Cluster" when going out to parties. Now, because my cluster was so crazy, I often felt super-uncomfortable, especially first semester, because I was (and still am) socially awkward. People made me nervous. So living with 12 other crazy, loud, horny, and (usually) half-dressed girls was extremely shell-shocking. I hung out with the swim team a lot (which is strange because they were usually less dressed than my cluster on a regular basis...).

Anyway, being surrounded by people who walk around the dorms in their underwear eventually rubs off on a girl. I started to party more, and would usually be incapable of putting pajamas on at the end of the night. I got used to sleeping in my underwear, but that stayed in the privacy in my own room. I even covered myself with a blanket for modesty's sake (plus, I never wanted my roommate's 'visitors' seeing me in my under-roos).

And then, JanTerm came around, and with it winter weather.

Now, you may think that cold, freezing weather would make me want to wear more clothes. That, combined with the fact that I could not shave for swimming would make anyone think "she must wear pants and whatnot all the time." Well, yes, I did wear pants, and leggings, and tights, and basically anything to cover my hairy, hairy legs as much as possible. But my dorm does not have climate control in each of the rooms. Ah, the joys of living in the oldest dorm on campus. No, the entire building was set to the same temperature all winter: 88 degrees. And the awesome thing about my room was that you could not close the vents to adjust air flow. So my roommate and I had the heat blowing 24/7. I cannot stand heat. It makes it impossible to sleep. I have to be in a freezing room with a bunch of blankets to sleep at night (or any time, really). So we spent the entire winter with the window open. Or I slept in the study room. Regardless of my slumbering location, I slept in a bra and pants.

And then I could shave again. And pledgeship started.

I pledged with most of my crazy cluster, the ones who most vehemently disliked clothes, plus a few other girls who also did not care for the constant wearing of clothes. Except for during our Hell Weeks, I didn't wear many clothes to bed. I was just too damn tired. After a while, the 12 of us got used to seeing each other in various stated of undress. You have no idea how many times a bunch of us would just sit around in one of the girls' rooms in towels because we had either just taken or were about to take a shower. And then came the "Naked" parties with our Sweethearts. I don't think they ever saw it coming. Twelve girls, recently kidnapped (the first time), all topless. There were happy boys that night (and a happy me, but that's a story for another time). I don't really know how we lost our shirts the second time.

But, regardless, I joined my pledge sisters ways of not wearing clothes all the time. But I still liked clothes.

Now, it's summer in Texas. It's hotter than balls at any given point of the day. Heck, it's 83 degrees out when I leave for practice at 4:45 AM some days. And I hate, hate, HATE being hot and sweaty. It's not right to start sweating the moment you get out of a shower! So now I spend my days between work lounging around my house in my underwear. If my brother wasn't home all the time now, I'd be naked. Okay, no, I'm still not comfortable with myself enough to go around naked, but! I do understand why my sisters/cluster dislike clothes. Sometimes, they're just inconvenient. Like, when you're too drunk to put clothes back on. Or they're on the other side of someone's room, and really, why would you want to leave the bed in the first place, especially when who's in it is just so pretty. Or you're at a swim meet, and they're just gonna get wet if you wear 'em. Other times, they're just fucking annoying. Like when it's hot. Or they're gonna give you weird tan lines. Or you're fat and bloated from your period.

Besides, underwear and bikinis keep all the important stuff covered anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment